Thursday, June 7, 2012

Stepping Back in Time

Well, as some of you know, I'm in DC right now. Apologies for the very cryptic gchat status: I am not yet in Colombia. It only says "Colombia." because I am kinda absorbed by my research and that's what I am working on. When I'm actually there I will, hopefully, not be on gchat almost all day. 

I arrived last night, ditched the mega long taxi line with pissed off looking people, and snagged a spot on the blue line straight into the city. SO WEIRD to be back in my old haunts, though I didnt stop by the Dialogue today, as I wanted to, because tonight is their 30 Year Anniversary Gala! Very exciting for them, all of my old friends were hard at work there so I missed them. Still.... I did see Lydia and stop by baked and wired! I now have a t-shirt that is hilarious and I'll think of the strange place that is this bakery every time I wear it. Lydia's work was on the walls today (not this sign, though I was so delirious from staring at small print all day that I read the sign wrong and laughed at a joke that wasnt there... I thought it said, EAT CUPCAKES, HOT PEOPLE, which seemed weird... but it says NOT people and that actually makes sense... in a do I really want to know the reason for this sign... hm... kind of way). I did have my ultra-leftist honduran collective coffee while I was there and it's still the best iced coffee in the entire world hands down. Go Baked and Wired!




And yeah, I spent the day working through old documents and timelines, running dates and numbers through things to compare my accounts versus the ones in the archives. All very cool. Super nerdy. And very cool. I think I'm all jittery and unable to read things right now because I got up after about 3 hours of sleep and excitement to work in starbucks for the morning until Lydia came for a visit. And I think I have had about 7 cups of coffee today... I need to start keeping track better. But the archives were great, I have the most intense timeline EVER now and roughly 500 files that I was given to download on my computer to read later. Hello recently declassified history!

And thus ends the barely-more-than-24-hour-trip to DC. I'm sitting in Reagan now waiting for my flight, answering emails, and trying to draft a 1 paragraph project report to send people when they ask me, what on earth are you doing? Maybe I'll post it here so you have a clue, too.

Peace. See you in Boston. 

No comments:

Post a Comment