Sunday, July 1, 2012

You can now find me jingling down the causeway

I'm very excited -- I just bought my first jingling anklets on the street yesterday.

I was ripped off... but I guess this is relative. By my standards, I wasnt. I bought them from this old woman with the tales of her years etched into the wrinkles of her face. She grinned with mischief and her eyes sparkled. Seriously, this woman was enchanting.

I knew that I was going to buy them from her. And so I went with Emilie to the green sheet she laid out with a dozen different kinds of these jingling anklets. As soon as I started looking she seized my ankle and attached one and then the other anklet to my feet. And they jingled. And I was in love.

I asked her if I could buy just 1 and she wasnt having it. Not at all. She demanded 200 rupees (a little under $4) from me and I had already melted in her hands so I said sure. To me this was completely fair, buying both of these in the US would have scalped me. I'm sure I would have paid close to $30 or more for the two of them combined. So yeah. Not feeling so bad about this.

Plus, I'm a sucker for mischievous looking elderly women. Probably because I know I'm going to be like them when I'm old and allowed to cause all of the trouble I want...


No comments:

Post a Comment