Saturday, May 19, 2012

Working Through A Few Things Right Now


Hello all,

Long story short, I had a longer blog from Mexico and High School about travels etc. but I decided that one was good as it was and this was a better space for me to write about where I find myself now. Plus, this is linked to my other blog for MEChA, and I write for both of them so it made more sense for me.

Right now I am working on my trip to Colombia in August, where I will be researching Campaign Finances, the 1978 and 82 elections, and the role of Cartels operating near Medellin and Bogota during these periods. I spent a few days at the Harvard David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies conference last week and talked to a series of people about working in Colombia/sourcing which was PHENOMENALLY helpful. I can say this because I spent the afternoon entering data into my excel sheet of contacts, reading loads of articles and requesting specific books for the library.

It's been a thought experiment kind of day... in truth, I pretty much dropped everything in my head into an email as fast as I could and sent it off to a partner in crime, of sorts. He's kinda become my go to for discussions about ideas of this variety. It's REALLY helpful. My first piece of life advice: Go find that person. Seriously. We all need someone who just cuts through the crap and tells you when you are being an idiot or when you are on to something.

So I was thinking about illicit markets today. And really, I was also kinda shaping my ideas for the year after college. At some point this year, I stopped being afraid of what comes next. Is that good or bad? I'm not sure I'll ever have any way of measuring that. But I going to keep my eyes and ears open, and see where this project proposal leads me.

In the meantime, I'm posted a few more things I've written so you can have a better sense of what I have been up to recently... or really, where I was this year.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment