Sunday, May 20, 2012

Every day would be a holiday from real.

Points for anyone who knows which song I am referring to.

I spent a good deal of today doing my favorite thing: reading all about illicit market structures in Colombia (unfortunately, this was much later than my research. I was looking at data from late 90s, early 2000s, but it was still helpful theme-wise) and the characters that ran its infamous cartels in the 1980s.

Each day it gets a little clearer what I am looking to answer. it's hard though -- I get really really excited about different topics and themes related to illicit markets, Latin America... the usual... so it's been difficult to track down a focus. I'm sure I'll have one by the end of the week.

It's also been helpful in terms of letting my mind wander to other topics... like TEDxYale. And curating the next conference. I pitched a few ideas today for speakers, I guess we'll see where that goes.

So maybe a good place for this to end, is one something funny and on something serious.

The funny thing:
A few of my friends and I started a 100 day work-out challenge. So far, I am completely dominating everyone in terms of total completed and consistency. Mostly because I am so consistent. It has been really nice to go for a run through the neighborhood every day. I need to work on timing because I keep going around noon, but I'm sure that it will work itself out.

the Serious thing:
Yes, it gets a capital S. I was thinking a lot about my friendships today. It's always that question of, who will stick around when I move onto the next phase of life? Who will I keep in touch with after college? Am I doing this right? Is it bad that I have grown apart from some people and not others?

I gave myself a gift last year. I learned to RELAX. We cannot control everything and we cannot decide to change/reshape the past. And that is ok. Just as you werent the same person freshman year of college as you are today, your friendships will change and adapt based on what you need. The ending of different chapters doesnt make some friendships more valid than others. It doesnt make some valuable and others not. It just depends on what fits into your life at any given time. And that is perfectly fine with me.

Funny/Serious ending:
I've been on a ROLL with my fortune cookies lately. They've been kind to me. Most recently one told me that I am the only one who has the power to shape and define my life (truth.), but it reminded me, super randomly, of one that I received sometime last August. It told me that I was about to make a life long friend or two. And as I sit back responding to emails and shaping out my summer plans, I realize that it was absolutely right.

Good night, all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment